Since its establishment, DreamHost Web Company has grown into one of the largest and most respected hosting companies around the world. They are independent and employee-owned i.e., they are not Endurance International brand.
By-and-large, every customer love them. As they have currently served more than 1.5 million websites, the accolades seem well earned.
But what about DreamHost Hosting Services? Is the company good? They claim they are #1 for reliable web hosting. That’s what we intend to explore with our in-depth DreamHost Hosting review.
DreamHost is well-known for their WordPress hosting. As many bloggers use DreamHost for hosting their blogs, the company also tends to offers a wide variety of advanced hosting solutions for the individual who require more processing power and resources.
The company also provide the customers with a shared hosting, the virtual private server (VPS), cloud hosting, and dedicated hosting plans. Not only they offer a full spectrum of hosting solution from Shared to Cloud to VPS, but they also offer WordPress along with complementary services like domain management and email.
Despite the great plans, most people who are just starting out with their first website might not consider it as an excellent choice because DreamHost plans are not as affordable as shared hosting plans offered by other web hosting companies in the industry. The beginners might not find it reasonable to spend more money on hosting their new sites as they are not guaranteed of generating income from the sites.
But that does not mean they are not best fit for everyone. If you want to go beyond blogging, DreamHost has features that will appeal to developers. They can launch cloud servers in just 30s and they support apps like MongoDB, Ruby on Rails, and Redis. Besides that, Dreamhost is also an OpenStack Foundation Gold Member, and their commitment to Open Source comes in the form of coding contributions, financial backing, and community leadership.
Now, let’s dive into more detailed of DreamHost Hosting Review along with its pros and cons.
DreamHost is a Los Angeles-based web hosting provider and domain name registrar. It was founded in 1996 by four computer science undergraduate students Dallas Bethune, Michael Rodriguez, Josh Jones, and Sage Weil. It is owned by New Dream Network, LLC. It was only got registered in 1997 by Michael Rodriguez.
As of 2016, DreamHost employs about 200 employees and has close to 400,000 customers. They have grown to host more than 1.5 million websites and 400,000 customers across the world.
Pros and Cons of Using DreamHost
DreamHost web hosting is one of the most established hosting companies online that has secure, good uptime and relatively good customer support. Let’s take a closer look at the pros and cons of DreamHost web hosting.
- Security: DreamHost provides you with IP based restrictions to the control panel, SSL certificates, SSH key fingerprints, and improving user security procedures to provide security to your account. In addition, they also claim to use a range of programs operating on the recent patches to provide security to the servers.
- Good Customer Support: DreamHost provides you with a lot of options to get help from their team experts. You can access their wiki services that provide information on all technical documentation. You also get useful instructions on how to handle a different technical problem that are likely to occur. Another way that you can get assistance from DreamHost team experts is by contacting their 24/7 technical support team from the user control panel. The technical support team will guide you through the process of solving the problem with your web hosting. Not only that, but they have also a live chat facility where one can talk to an expert in about 20 mins.
- Uptime of 99.99%: Most hosting companies claim to provide 100% uptime guarantee, but sometimes they fail to do so. However, this is not the case with DreamHost. Based on customers review, their uptime is really impressive i.e, they guaranteed an uptime of 99.99%. This results in improving conversions and good ranking of your website.
- Speed: DreamHost also provides a great server speed which makes it easier and faster for you to upload and download files to your site. A good server speed is important for improving your traffic and also to have a better SEO thus resulting in improving the site ranking.
- Money-back Guarantees: DreamHost offers a long-time money back guarantee that other web hosting company does not offer. They offer a full 97-day money back guarantee (More than InMotion’s 90 days). That’s really impressive.
- Award-winning: DreamHost reviews are consistently positive, and have won a ‘Best Customer Service’ award in 2016, as well as a Top 25 Scale-Up award.
Cons of Using DreamHost
Here are a few disadvantages of using DreamHost web hosting:
- Not For Newbies: As we have already mentioned, DreamHost is an advanced service. No hand-holding like HostGator. Most people who are just starting out with their first website might not consider it as an excellent choice because DreamHost plans are not as affordable as shared hosting plans offered by other web hosting companies in the industry. The beginners might not find it reasonable to spend more money on hosting their new sites as they are not guaranteed of generating income from the sites.
- Phone Support Not Available: We mentioned DreamHost customer support in a pros section. Yes, they are available 24/7 across a wide range of channels excluding phone calls. The company does not offer phone support, but customers can pay extra to request callbacks from support staff. Furthermore, a live chat option is always available for all accounts when the level of support emails is low. Nevertheless, this option is always available for those customers who have already pay the monthly fee for callbacks.
Conclusion: Do We Recommend DreamHost?
Yes, depending on what you are looking for.
Overall, we found DreamHost a super reliable platform that excels at the main function of a host. They also offer incredible money-back guarantees and provide excellent uptime and ample server resources.
If you are looking for high-powered hosting for advanced web admins, and if you value reliability and support, then look no further than DreamHost.
However, if you are looking for an easy and quick hosting fix and are also looking for an affordable shared hosting company with better pricing, then DreamHost may not be your choice. You may switch your thoughts to HostGator.